[getdns-api] some early API comments

Ray Bellis Ray.Bellis
Tue Jan 22 18:57:46 CET 2013

On 22 Jan 2013, at 01:35, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2013, at 1:53 PM, Evan Hunt <each at isc.org> wrote:
>
>> While one rarely needs to specify the class of a query, it is sometimes
>> useful (e.g., for version.bind/CHAOS/TXT), so there ought to be a
>> request_class parameter for getdns().
>
> This is pretty rare. Since it's not part of IN, I feel comfortable making this a context setting.

Paul,

I have a concern over the idea that "unusual" options would be supported via options supplied in the context object.

Since the API is by definition asynchronous, IMHO "per-request" options simply don't belong in the context object, which would be shared being multiple outstanding requests.

BTW, have you looked at "libunbound", which wraps pretty much the whole of the Unbound recursive resolver in an API?

I suspect it's somewhat more heavyweight (and hence more complicated) than you desire for your own API design, but it's worth a look just to see what sort of features may be desired.

Ray