[getdns-api] Addition of new dns transport option

Robert Story rstory at tislabs.com
Fri Mar 13 04:54:52 CET 2015

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:32:22 +0000 Duane wrote:
WD> This all seems unfortunately complex.  In hindsight it may have been
WD> better to define more simple transport types (UDP, TCP, TLSPORT,
WD> STARTTLS) and then set them in the context as an ordered list.  If the
WD> first one in the list doesn't work, fallback to the next one, and so
WD> on...

I like it. I also think that transports should have optional flags (e.g.
KEEP_CONNECTIONS_OPEN) instead of creating another transport type.

It also seems like transport should have associated properties (like
retries, timeout, timeout strategy, etc). Currently the timeout is a
property of the context, but what does that mean when the transport is
GETDNS_TRANSPORT_UDP_FIRST_AND_FALL_BACK_TO_TCP? How long does it wait for
the UDP response before falling back? And for transports that keep
connections open, maybe you might want to have a maximum number of requests
per connection, or an idle time after which the connection would be shut
down.

Robert

--
Senior Software Engineer @ Parsons