[getdns-users] git rm spec/getdns-0.601.tgz ?

Willem Toorop willem at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Jul 9 22:44:34 CEST 2015

Op 09-07-15 om 21:50 schreef Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
> Hi Willem--
>
> On Thu 2015-07-09 03:54:25 -0400, Willem Toorop wrote:
>
>> The API spec was there before the implementation.  It has it's own
>> repository which is not public (it is at vpnc.org).  It contains a
>> script which creates the index.html specification from a templates (and
>> the examples C code) and it also produces the tarball which is
>> referenced from the index.html spec.
>>
>> Although we've also taken over the editor's pen, I still commit
>> modifications to the spec on the repository at vpnc.org and use the
>> script therein to generate it.
>
> Hm, shipping the data from the spec as a tarball makes it much more
> complicated to see the differences between specs as they evolve.  and
> the files themselves are not very big; with git, it would probably be
> more space-efficient (and easier reading) to store the expanded
> directory, rather than the tarball itself.
>
> If we want to include a script to reproduce the tarball so that
> spec/index.html can reference the right thing, that'd be quick and
> simple to write.  shall i write it?

That doesn't feel quite right.  I will ask Paul Hoffman if we can make
the repository public up from the revision where I started editing it.

>> The examples from the spec within the tarball are extracted though,
>> because I've created some support files around it (Makefile.in and a
>> different getdns_core_only.h and getdns_libevent.h) to enable compiling
>> the examples with the library.
>
> What does it mean for the library to ship different .h files than the
> api's canonical .h files?  this seems like an odd thing to do when
> trying to target a specific API, but maybe i'm not understanding the
> rationale here.  Can you explain?

Well you can have a look for yourself by opening up the tarball.
Those header files assume the API's repositories build environment.  The
alternative Makefile.in and header files make the examples linkable with
libtool against our implementation in its build environment.

> I suppose I'm a bit confused about
> the api as a distinct project from the implemenation, tbh.

The API was quite a community effort.  When it was most active, I was
not yet there.

I wanted to point out the getdns-api mailing-list archive to you, but I
cannot access it at vpnc.org any more.  I will ask Paul Hoffman about that.