[getdns-api] Packaging getdns-api for RHEL/Fedora/CentOS

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Thu Feb 27 16:13:41 CET 2014

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Willem Toorop wrote:

> op 27-02-14 02:46, Paul Wouters schreef:
>> - It is a little confusing that the getdns-0.1.0.tar.gz contains
>>   specs/getdns-0.5.tgz. I suggest renaming that.
>
> Yes maybe, but rename what?   Paul Hoffman's API spec tarbal, our
> implementation tarbal or both?

First, why a tar ball in a tar ball? The outer tar can compress it,
so just expose the contents. That also solves the problem of appearing
to have made a packaging mistake. And it would be better documentation
anyway if it is not a tar ball. Either that, or remove it completely.

> Personally I would like most getdnsapi-0.5.tgz for the spec and
> libgetdns.0.1.0.tgz for the implementation.  What do you all think?

if you rename it libgetdns, please do it before the package review goes
through. I thought of naming the package libgetdns, but I was not sure
if you were going to make little tools like ldns as well (although we
are likely renaming that package to ldns,ldns-utils)

I did like the example program names in ldns better. We could ship
those as useful tools :)

Paul