[stub-resolver] [getdns-api] Packaging getdns-api for RHEL/Fedora/CentOS

Willem Toorop willem at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Feb 27 16:47:41 CET 2014

op 27-02-14 16:13, Paul Wouters schreef:
> First, why a tar ball in a tar ball? The outer tar can compress it,
> so just expose the contents. That also solves the problem of appearing
> to have made a packaging mistake. And it would be better documentation
> anyway if it is not a tar ball. Either that, or remove it completely.

Because the index.html refers to the tarbal.  This is how Paul Hoffman
shaped his API specification.  We copied it directly from his repository
(site).  We just include the version that matches our implementation in
the spec directory for completeness.

>> Personally I would like most getdnsapi-0.5.tgz for the spec and
>> libgetdns.0.1.0.tgz for the implementation.  What do you all think?
>
> if you rename it libgetdns, please do it before the package review goes
> through. I thought of naming the package libgetdns, but I was not sure
> if you were going to make little tools like ldns as well (although we
> are likely renaming that package to ldns,ldns-utils)
>
> I did like the example program names in ldns better. We could ship
> those as useful tools :)

:) Well, these getdns examples come directly from the specification too
and serve only illustrative purpose.  They are not meant as actual
useful tools.  Maybe we should leave them in the spec tarbal and not
provide them extracted in src/examples, yes?

This library is more targeted at resolving in all its different forms.
It would lend itself really well for a getdns-host like tool.  I expect
something like that might get included at some point.

Cheers,

-- Willem